Pages

Serving Jesus with Intensive Care Ministries Russia, spreading revival through teaching Inductive Bible Study Seminars, starting churches, working with orphans and at risk kids to build a stronger church in Russia.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Teaching the Word

This past year living in Russia, the three months in America, and on the way back to Russia I have been praying and thinking about how I can help here in Russia the best and what exactly has the Lord called me here to do. There is so much that could be done, and of course almost everything I would like to do now requires that I speak better Russian. My desires in being in Russia are to build up the Church with the teaching of the Word, to teach Inductive Bible Study seminars, and to help orphans and at risk kids.

I am now spending time at the Light of Hope center building relationships with kids, and helping in whatever way I can. I would like to someday be able to help more financially, but right now I have to be satisfied with what I am doing at the moment. I have already taught one seminar and we are planning another seminar in April. But I am still not sure in what way exactly I will teach the word, am I to be a pastor, a traveling preacher, or what? I don’t know what the Lord has in store for me as far as teaching the Word is concerned. I am still praying and asking for the leading of the Lord. I have decided that I will not be in a hurry, spending this time to build myself in the Word, learn Russian, and wait for the Lord to show what He has planned. Shortly after deciding this I was blessed with three opportunities to teach the Word.

Before Igor left for America to raise support he started a missionary group that meets every Wednesday. I was blessed to be invited to come and share the Word with this group in Igor’s absence, and to have a fiancĂ© that is willing and able to translate for me. I am not able to commit to the group regularly because I am trying to juggle that and the youth group that Andrey has started at the Center. But I cannot describe the blessing I receive in teaching the Word. I am seeking God to find out if I should commit to this group more or spend more time with Andrey and the kids.


The second opportunity was to teach the home group that Abner leads every Thursday at Olga’s apartment. Abner was going to have to cancel the group, but I was blessed and surprised when he asked if I could teach and have Sveta translate. I was blessed as I led the group through 2 Peter 2. It is getting easier to teach through an interpreter, and Sveta does a great job, often saying things better than I do. The message was interesting and seemed to be more for me than the group. I do not know what goes on in other people’s hearts, and how it works with other teachers, but I know that the Spirit was really working during a Bible Study if I feel like I was ministered to more than those I was ministering to. Sveta and I were talking about this as she drove me home, marveling at how the Spirit can speak so individually to different people in different stages of life and different situations through the same verse.

The third opportunity was to cover for Abner on Saturday in the Light of Hope Church. Abner had to lead a Jesus film outreach and was not going to be able to do both. I taught from Mark 5:35-43. Abner came back at the end of the service in time to catch the end of the teaching. I cannot say how excited I was when he said that they were going to ask me to teach more often. I feel this is the first step to me being able to do something here in Russia. I think the first step to revival is the fanning of the flame in the hearts of believers, starting with those ministering. This is what the Lord is doing in my heart, and I hope that the Lord will use me in somewhat to fan that flame.

Please keep in prayer what the Lord has in store for us in Russia, and for ICM. As I walk the streets of Cherepovets I can easily get overwhelmed when I see all that could be done and the help that is needed. There is so much to do here it has to be from the Lord, in the Lord’s leading, in His timing, and only in His power! Please keep us all ministering over here in prayer as the Lord lays it on your heart. This week I am going to lead the home group through the book of Jude, I am excited! Please pray that we would be changed by the teaching of the word, and that we would be set on fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment