Pages

Serving Jesus with Intensive Care Ministries Russia, spreading revival through teaching Inductive Bible Study Seminars, starting churches, working with orphans and at risk kids to build a stronger church in Russia.

Thursday, July 2, 2009

First Pahod. For Youth

This last weekend I went on my first Russian camping trip, called a pahod. Really there is isn’t much of a difference between American camping and Russian camping accept that Russian camping I would classify as a little more real camping. We walked to the middle of nowhere and found a spot, there was no toilet, we cooked over the fire, and gathered our own firewood. As opposed to the usual way in America of renting a site not far from a store, where there is a toilet, usually a gas stove to cook, you have to buy firewood, and some people even call camping spending the night in a trailer. But regardless all the necessary elements where there for a good camping trip: we slept in tents, cooked over the fire, stayed up late, and got eaten alive by trillions of mosquitoes. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, save one minor detail.

We left early Friday morning, took a bus, then a train, and got off early so we had to walk several kilometers carrying our heavy loads. But that wasn’t too bad. Once we got to the site we set everything up, collected wood, got a fire going with dinner cooking over it, and went swimming in the river. We had a great time. The second day I woke up with a fine headache, with a dry mouth, and in a hot tent, my favorite way to wake up. I thought the headache and dry mouth where signs of dehydration, so when I found no water Abner and I went to get some. I thought it was cool when we arrived at an old-school drop the bucket down and pull you water up well. Don’t see too many of those in the States. Well after having a drink or two it was apparent that the problem wasn’t lack of water as much as the water itself. I didn’t get terribly sick, but it was enough to put a damper on the trip, for me.

The kids however had a great time. They, like all kids, love being away from home and spending all their time with their friends. We spent most the time playing Frisbee, hackysack, several different games, and of course swimming. Andrey and Abner taught a couple bible studies asked the kids questions and answered a few as well. The kids have a lot of questions, some really good ones too. I was struck by some of the questions asked. They made me realize that these kids, to paraphrase what how Abner put it, believe in Jesus, but not necessarily the Bible. In other words they believe in Jesus and that he loves them, but they want to believe in their own way. I am afraid that most of them, though they believe in Jesus are not actually born again. I think part of this is because they don’t really know who Jesus is. He is a name without a face. Our desire is introduce them to the real Jesus, and put a face to the name. I know not how to do this other than continue to teach the word, love the kids, and pray for them. I would ask that you would also continue to keep the kids in prayer.

On the trip I took over 400 pictures, here are some of them, they can tell you about the trip better than words.











I was trying to explain how to take a picture in Russian: the reason for the tortured look.

















I will try to remember all their names:...Max

Sergei..................................... Sergei

Me.......................................Beeka

Yulia....................................Nadia

Not sure :(............................?

Abner....................................Andrey

Olga......................................Pasha

Roman







.................................................Max

































I just want to go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment